I’ve decided to get veneers this summer, but I wonder what to expect on my two front teeth, which have fillings in them. Will veneers hold to teeth that have extensive fillings? Or should I consider another treatment? Thanks. Nadia from Bridgeport, CT
Your cosmetic dentist will use bonding that chemically compatible with the material in the fillings on your front teeth. The bonding material and the fillings in your teeth will unite and form a solid piece. But your before bonding veneers to your teeth, a cosmetic dentist will ensure that your fillings are stable and your teeth are healthy. Any issues with the health of your teeth will be resolved first.
Select an Advanced Cosmetic Dentist
A cosmetic dentist’s skill determines how well he or she bonds your porcelain veneers to your teeth.
- Look for a dentist with advanced post-graduate training in esthetics.
- Ask the dentist how many porcelain veneers he or she has completed.
- Try to find an accredited cosmetic dentist. To achieve accreditation, a dentist must complete rigorous exams and submit successful patient cases that represent the dentist’s skill.
What to Expect with a Porcelain Veneers
Cosmetic dentists who are artists will work closely with you to give you the smile you’ve envisioned.
- You’ll co-design your smile makeover.
- Your dentist will show you a virtual version of your smile makeover.
- You’ll try on a wax model of your new smile and wear temporary veneers.
- Your dentist will adjust the temporaries to match your smile goals.
- After you approve your new smile, your dentist will securely bond the veneers to your teeth.
Are Veneers the Right Solution?
Whether or not you should select another form of cosmetic dentistry depends on your teeth’s health and appearance and what you want to accomplish. Sometimes composite bonding is a solution, or a dentist might recommend a combination of treatments. Request a consultation to learn about your options before requesting a specific procedure like porcelain veneers.
Michael Szarek, DMD, an accredited cosmetic dentist in Lowell, MA sponsors this post.