When dental implants are used to support dentures, the results can greatly improve your quality of life. Many common concerns about wearing dentures can be reduced or completely eliminated, including:
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty chewing
- Loose dentures
- Dentures that lift or fall out
- Bone shrinkage and facial collapse
When Dental Implants Won’t Hold Your Prostheses
If your denture doesn’t fit properly onto dental implants, won’t snap onto them, or dislodges from them, there are several possible causes. Three of them are discussed below:
- Dentures – It is possible that your prosthesis wasn’t correctly made. Before you receive dentures, impressions of your mouth are taken. Inaccurate impressions can result in poor fit. Additionally, incorrect locations of the attachments in the denture base can cause them not to fit correctly on the implants. And, depending on the age of your dentures, the attachments might be difficult to place, or they can be worn and need to be replaced.
- Implants – The position and angle of your dental implants are crucial for your dentures to fit correctly. Proper planning is required for accurate placement. This includes a three-dimension CT scan to identify the best location for maximum support. Sufficient bone density is needed for your implants to remain stable.
- Communication – Close communication is required between the implant surgeon and the restoring dentist to ensure precise placement and comfort. If clear instructions are not provided, either the implants or the denture can be incorrectly placed.
What Can You Do?
If you are experiencing problems with the fit of your denture and dental implants, speak with your dentist and implant surgeon. You can also consider scheduling a second opinion with an experienced implant dentist. He or she will examine your denture and implants to determine the reason for the poor fit. Further diagnostic studies might be required to identify the cause of the problem and resolve it.
This post is sponsored by Dr. Michael Szarek, a Lowell, MA accredited cosmetic dentist.